Friday, June 11, 2004

blog stories

La Shawn Barber is asking why people blog and why they read blogs. Lots of interesting answers in the comments.

I started reading blogs when I cancelled my cable TV and found that I couldn't get any local stations so I was newsless. I could get a paper, but I don't want just one source of news. Blogs turned out to be a great solution. Not only do they give me a wide variety of news sources, they pick out the stories I'm most interested in (once I found the right blogs). Never again will I have to suffer through a story about a movie star's marriage or a story about a saintly family that works in a soup kitchen for an afternoon to demonstrate their Christmas spirit. Yuck.

Eventually, I decided to start blogging myself. Partly, it was because I wanted to practice writing. I've always wanted to be a writer, but I've never done anything to move my career in that direction. Sort of like I've always wanted to be an astronaut but I've never taken flying lessons (I may start the flying lessons soon, though). I could just keep writing on my own and start sending stuff to publishers, but I'm not very good at self-promotion (as my blog amply demonstrates). With a blog, I get occasional feedback. Other than rejection letters, that is. Maybe once I get more experience, I'll start actually trying to get something published. Or not.

The other reason I started blogging is personal. I'm not one of those intimate, this-is-my-life bloggers, so I'm not going to discuss it. I got enough flack over the caramelized underwear story.

UPDATE: On a hunch, I decided to see if "caramelized underwear" is a googlewack. No such luck, but my post is the first item listed.

No comments: