Thursday, July 22, 2004

guys with no shirts

I was at the store the other day shopping in the men's clothing section and the walls are covered with posters of really good-looking (dare I say, effeminate?) young guys in various states of undress.

Why? It's not like any significant number of men are going to be prompted to buy anything by a display like that. In fact most of us (I claim) find it annoying. We want to spend less time in the store because of it.

I have several theories:

(1) The marketers have decided that most (or a lot of) men's clothing is actually bought by women, so they direct the posters at women.

(2) The marketers are gay and since that kind of marketing works for them, they assume it works for everyone.

(3) The marketers are women and since that kind of marketing (with female models) works for women, they assume the opposite works for men.

(4) A combination of 2 and 3.

(5) I'm completely atypical and those ads actually do work on significant numbers of men.

I'm really kind of curious about this. If anyone knows the answer, I'd like to hear about it.

No comments: