Saturday, August 28, 2004

first photos

Here's the first photo from my new digital camera:

It's a picture of one of my favorite blogs taken from my favorite chair. The glare is from the autoflash. I tried to turn it off before I took the picture, but it didn't take. Here's photo 2 without the flash:

Not very good, but the light is low and it's mostly back-lit. I wanted to test it's low-light capacity but adding back-lighting is a bit too challenging so I had to get off my butt and go over to the wall where there would be no backlighting. A previous tenant of the office had put up this painting of an outside restaurant as seen by someone extremely near-sighted (I'm told it's Van Gogh).

That blurring is in the original painting. The camera didn't cause it. I did have to enhance the photo a little using the program that came with the camera, but all in all, it's not too bad for an indoor shot. Some detail is missing. Not as good as I hoped, but not as bad as I expected.

The camera is a --OK, I'm a little embarrassed to write this-- a Che-ez! Foxz 2. I expect that if they picked a less stupid name they could double their sales. Who wants to say, "Oh, I've got a Che-ez-with-an-exclamation-mark Foxy-that's-fox-with-a-z-on-the-end 2". If I'd looked at the name before I bought it I probably wouldn't have.

It's a neat little camera, though. Only 200 megapixels (which is fine for photoblogging) but it's also only about the size of six or seven credit cards stacked together so I can carry it in my pocket all the time. It has a good color LCD display, takes an SD memory card and has a lithium-polymer battery. And it's less than $90.

I'm planning to take it into the city tomorrow to try it out.

No comments: