Thursday, September 23, 2004

nobody listen to this

We need more flag-burning, not less. After all, if someone hates America so much that he wants to burn an American flag to prove it, isn't it better for us to know about that?

The only people who are helped by flag-burning laws are people who despise their country. By preventing them from burning flags, we help them keep under the radar. We make it easier for them to lie about their loyalties by not making them defend their allies that come out in the open.

On the other hand, I hope nobody listens to me on this because the flag-burning issue is the best shot we have right now for reigning in a judiciary that has gotten out of control. Forcing Democrats to come out of their anti-American closet and vote against the law will be good. And a precedent for controlling the Napoleonic judges will be good too.

UPDATE:
The title to this post was prescient. Today Donald Crankshaw posted about the proposal to remove the Pledge of Allegiance issue from the jurisdiction of the courts and I'm thinking, "Hey, they're doing flag burning and the pledge both?" Then I went back to the article I linked to, and it's not about flag burning at all. What was I thinking? I have no idea.

Well I do have an idea: I read Ramesh Ponnoru's article on jurisdiction stripping and he discusses flag burning in there. I just got side tracked. Sorry for the confusion. Nobody pay any attention...

No comments: