Friday, September 24, 2004

the Prince de Neufchatel

Robert Franklin has corrected me on this post from last March. He informs me that the ship in the photo is the HMS Grasshopper rather than the Prince de Neufchatel. I'll have to take his word for it, since I don't see any difference. I'd like to know why an HMS ship is flying the American flag though...

Robert has built the scale model of the Prince and has a cool web site about it. Go check it out. It has some interesting history on the privateers in the War of 1812.

UPDATE:
I'm having doubts about Robert's identification. Not because of any expertise on my part, but because of the flag and because the file name of the photo is "prince.html". I got the photo from the Steel, Chapman & Hutchinson Ltd web site and I don't think I would have changed the name. Here's the photo:

No comments: