Tuesday, September 28, 2004

toilet sundries

You know, it's not like I'm really looking to build an identity as the toilet blogger, but several pressing subjects have come up that require a third post on toilet-related subjects. Actually, this is three different posts, but I'm combining them to minimize the overall toilet footprint.

First, two German acquaintances have taken exception to my post on German toilet construction. They claim that German toilets do not splatter more than regular toilets. I remain skeptical, but it seemed prudent to pass along the information.

Second, it seems that the urban legend about the flush toilet being created by Sir John Crapper is, well, an urban legend. There was a Thomas Crapper who made toilets. And although the word "crap" predates Mr. Crapper's business in pluming fixtures, it did change it's meaning around that time period to, well, the meaning it has today.

Finally, a friend claimed to have seen a genuine Thomas Crapper in a home in England. I was dubious, but a quick search of the web revealed that he most likely encountered a semi-genuine Crapper. It's not my cup of tea, but then I'm not an antique kind of guy.

If you have any questions about flush toilets, please direct them elsewhere. Thank you.

No comments: