Friday, November 12, 2004

AIDS and vacations

Oh, and for those of you who are going to make connections between the two posts below: one on vacations in Thailand and the Philippines and one on AIDS statistics in Thailand and the Philippines, I suppose I should explain where that came from. No, I was not doing research to see which place has the safest sex tourism. Well, not for personal use, anyway.

I had mentioned to a friend that I was thinking about going to Thailand and that one of the attractions was the Thai women. I was speaking in a strictly look-and-don't-touch sense (although it isn't beyond the bounds of possibility that I could meet someone and end up doing some touching), but he misunderstood, and told me that Thailand has one of the highest AIDS rates in the world. This piqued my curiosity because I thought no other country was even close to some African countries. I did some research on it and that's what led me to the Philippines/Thailand AIDS comparison.

So get your head out of the gutter, already.

Oh, and Thailand is nowhere near South Africa and some other African countries, which are running around 1/4 of the adult population with AIDS. But there are some parts of Africa where it is still very low.

No comments: