Sunday, November 21, 2004

introspective adventurers

I've been holding off on saying anything about Donald Crankshaw's story-in-progress now titled Dreams and Visions because I prefer to do a comprehensive review when the story is finished. Partly it's because I don't want to influence the author's thinking about an ongoing story and partly it's because I'm lazy and don't want to do it twice.

But I did want to remark on this section, where one of the heroes is coming to grips with the existence of magic. He takes a very clinical approach to analyzing his experiences. I've always wished authors would do this more because it seems more realistic to me. Sure, there may be moments of wonder or horror at the first experiences of magic, but when it's over and you have time to think about it, wouldn't you try to analyze what had happened? Wouldn't you wonder what sort of laws govern this new phenomenon? Wouldn't you think about experiments you could do to understand it better?

Well I would. Or at least I think I would. Maybe this is just because I'm at the extreme range of introspective personalities, but shouldn't introspective types have adventures too? That seems to be what is going on in Donald's story. I'm really looking forward to what comes next.

No comments: