Friday, December 10, 2004

George Soros owns the Democratic Party

The Moderate Voice notes (pointer from Instapundit) this comment in a letter from Move On to its membership:
In the last year, grass-roots contributors like us gave more than $300 million to the Kerry campaign and the DNC, and proved that the party doesn't need corporate cash to be competitive, ... Now it's our party: we bought it, we own it, and we're going to take it back.
But the single largest contributor was George Soros with, if I recall correctly some 10 or 20 million dollars in contributions. More than that, it was his initial investment of 10 million dollars that made them a big-time organization able to raise the rest of the money. They own such a huge debt to Soros, that I don't think it's unreasonable to view it as Soros's organization. So what that quote really amounts to is an agent of George Soros saying on his behalf: "Now it's my party, I bought it, I own it, now I'm going to take it back."

What else did anyone expect, when one man invests tens of millions of dollars for one political party? And where are the campaign-finance reformers who so feared this kind of effect?

No comments: