Friday, August 26, 2005

impersonating a ten-year-old

Via Michelle Malkin, this story about a newspaper hoax where a woman pretended to be a little girl writing news columns. I don't blame them so much for being credulous in the first place, but I think a bit of judgment would have made them suspicious because of the writing. I've read children's writing and I've read the writing of adults trying to write like children, and the adults usually don't do such a good job. It seems to be no different in this case. Do these quotes really seem authentic to you? To me they scream "adult woman trying to write like a child":
"Hey dad I dug a fox hole. It is regulashin ... Can you kill all the bad guys now so Air Force One can bring you home?"
and
"I'm rily mad at you and you make my hart hurt,"' she purportedly wrote in one published letter to the president. "I don't think your doing a very good job. You keep sending soldiers to Iraq and it's not fair. Do you have a soldier of your own in Irak?"
Often, it is even possible to tell the difference between a man and a woman trying to write like a child. When men do it, they tend to be over-humorous and sound too clever. When women do it they tend to be over-cute and sound too naive. Kids are not as clever as adults and they are not naive enough to be as cute as the women would like. And don't kids know how to use spell checkers?

Of course this is not to say that I couldn't be fooled. I probably have been and didn't know about it. But I think this one should not have fooled so many people. It just isn't that good.

UPDATE: Rhymes With Right has an extensive summary of the story.

No comments: