Sunday, August 21, 2005

on an important topic

Tom Harrison doesn't think a post of all links is cheating. He argues that a concise pointer to something interesting is better than a long, rambling article that wastes everyone's time. I guess I agree with him on that point. Someone writes a long, rambling post that wastes your time and you end up being sorry that you visited the blog. I would never do that. Long rambling, and especially repetitive discourses are not done on this blog. This blog entirely avoids posts that are long, rambling, and repetitive. I don't like those kinds of posts so I don't post them. They make the reader feel like his time has been wasted reading a long, rambling and repetitive post because of the length, the rambling, and the repetitiveness.

After all, you came to the blog expecting to read something interesting. Maybe some incisive political commentary or a humorous anecdote, or an inspiring tale of dangers braved and obstacles overcome. It's OK for posts like that to long as long as they aren't rambling and repetitive. Which no one likes. Well, actually I guess I shouldn't say that no one likes them because maybe there are some people somewhere that like long, rambling, repetitive posts, but I don't know any of them. Well actually I may know some of them because I haven't asked everyone I know how they feel about long, rambling, repetitive reading material because you normally just assume that people don't like that sort of thing. But I guess that if you just always assumed that and never asked, then you might actually know someone who actually likes long, rambling, repetitive reading material and they just never mentioned it. Maybe because they assume everyone likes long, rambling, repetitive reading material or maybe because they know that it is unusual to enjoy long, rambling, repetitive reading material and they are embarrassed about their preferences.

But if that is the case, how would we know that it really is unusual to like long, rambling, repetitive reading materials? Maybe everyone likes that kind of stuff and just assumes that everyone else doesn't like it and they are too embarrassed to say what they like. I'd like to say for the record, though, that I personally don't like long, rambling, repetitive reading materials and I'm not just saying that because I think it's the expected attitude. I wouldn't like about something like that. I might lie about having committed a felony like a murder or something, or I might lie to a girlfriend and say that I like her new hair color, but I wouldn't lie about whether or not I like a certain kind of reading material because it's too trivial.

Of course there might be circumstances where I would be inclined to lie about what kinds of reading materials I like. For example if I was in Russia in 1969 and someone guy comes up and flashes a KGB badge at me and asks if I like to read communist literature I might lie and say that I did. Of course that's assuming that I was lying. If I were actually in Russia in 1969 then maybe I would have liked reading communist literature. Of course that's doubtful because I was only eight years old at the time and it's hard to imagine that many eight year olds enjoy reading communist literature. Of course I suppose that statement suffers from the same weaknesses as my claim that most people don't like long, rambling, repetitive reading materials, namely that this could be a social construction sort of like the way that people say they like pineapple on pizza when it is blatantly obvious that no one could like such a barbaric food.

The best pizza is thin crust with pepperoni, sausage, garlic and extra cheese. It's OK to add onions if you want. Onions are good in other Italian food like spaghetti sauce, but frankly, I don't think they add anything to pizza. They are essential to Mexican food, though. In Tucson, Mexican food always comes with onions, but in the Bay Area, onions are usually not put on the food directly, they are put in the salsa bar in a tiny bowl with tiny little tweezes to take them out when you really need a big, honking bowl of diced onions and a big, honking spoon to scoop them out with.

Salsa bars are another thing that's different about the Bay Area. Mexican restaurants can't decide on one kind of salsa so they give you a selection, some of which have disgusting ingredients in the salsa like mango. Not that mango is disgusting. I like mango. But it does not by any means belong in salsa. It's good in a mango lasi though. That's a drink from India. I'm not sure I'm spelling it right. It's sort of a smoothie with mango and milk and probably some sugar because they are very sweet. I'm not sure it has sugar though, because mangos are naturally pretty sweet, but I'm pretty sure that when you get a young coconut in a Tai restaurant, they put sugar in it to make the milk sweeter. I just don't think coconut's are naturally that sweet.

When I was a kid in Venezuela, I remember someone giving me a piece of sugar cane one time and I loved it. For a year afterward, every time I would see bamboo, I'd chew on it, hoping it was sugar cane. Lots of disappointment in that series of experiments I can tell you. I sometimes wonder if that experience contributed to my pessimistic attitudes. Not that I'm unusually pessimistic, but I do tend to expect the worst. Not that expecting the worst is a bad thing, it keeps you prepared, and it makes you happy when the worst doesn't happen.

Well, gee, I'm staring to ramble here, so I think it's time to cut this short. No one likes to read long, rambling, repetitive posts, and sometimes you even feel betrayed by a blogger who would do that to you. Well, at least I don't think many people enjoy reading those kinds of posts so I won't subject you to one here. Although if you do enjoy long, rambling repetitive posts then I think you should come out of the closet and admit it. Use my comment section if you like, I promise to be non-judgmental as long as you don't endorse grotesque horrors like fruit on pizza or in salsas. And please don't bring up that silly canard about tomatoes being a fruit. I'm not using the word in the botanical sense, I'm using the word in the comestical sense, and in that sense if it isn't sweet it isn't a fruit. And if it's hard it's a nut even if it isn't exactly the correct sex organ to be called a nut. And by the way, I don't think it's entirely necessary to be referring to plant sex organs and implying that my hay fever is an allergy to plants having sex. That's really gross.

So, I have a lot more to say about this issue, but I think the post is long enough and I'll end it here. Bye for now. And try to avoid those obnoxious blogs with long, rambling, repetitive posts because they will just annoy you and waste your time.

No comments: