Monday, November 13, 2006

Mist Magic part 15

The story begins here. The previous week begins here.
OK, I'll admit it: even laying beneath the fog on damp concrete, my chest aching and ribs possibly broken, I was fascinated. I mean ... ancient civilizations, lost knowledge, dark magic, the true stories behind mythology ... I love stories like that. If I hadn't feared for my life, I probably would have been paying better attention and I could relate this better. As it is, you will have to rely on my faulty recollections.

The mist magic included illusions, monster summoning, and invisible forces that could lift a man or animate a metal automaton. For many decades the cedar ships of the Aghianar presided over a trade empire that ran throughout the Mediterranean and Black Seas. They sailed the Atlantic coast of Europe as far as Britain and the Atlantic coast of Africa as far as the "great jungles" --I took him to mean the Congo. Throughout this region their ships sailed at will, with minimal armaments and neglecting the security of a naval force. The merchants and sailors of the Aghianar had no need for navies to protect them from the various kings and princes and other sorts of pirates; instead, all peoples were taught to fear the Valangzar.
continued

No comments: