Sunday, January 14, 2007

jobs, duty, and saving the galaxy

This is my first post in about three weeks. You know, it's not that I really couldn't make time for blogging if I really wanted to, it's just that blogging strikes me as such a chore right now. I think it goes back to my new job. It used to be that I pretty much had one thing to do at a time: implement this feature, fix this bug. But now, I have dozens of things waiting for my attention all the time, and it feels like I'm never getting to half of them. Blogging is just one more responsibility, one more demand on my attention, and it is the lowest-priority one. If I have time to blog then I have time to review the release schedule. If I have time to blog then I have time to write that functional spec. If I have time to blog then I have time to update the bug list.

I spent six or seven hours yesterday playing Halo 2 (you will be relieved to know that I have saved the galaxy once more), so it's not like I don't have time for myself, it's more like I don't have time to do stuff that I feel like I should be doing, and to me, blogging has never been pure entertainment, it has been a task that I set myself.

I'm starting to think that I should relieve myself of this particular task so that I can do my job better and also continue to save the universe from evil alien menaces without that nagging voice in the back of my mind telling me, "If you have time to save the galaxy then you have time to blog." (that last sentence really deserves to be in a list of quotes somewhere, doesn't it? :-)

But don't panic. If I do decide to quit, then I'm going to finish Mist Magic before I do. Maybe I'll even remember to enter the Storyblogging Carnival one more time.

No comments: