Thursday, April 17, 2008

defense mechanisms of gun-banners

Here is an interesting essay by a psychiatrist named Sarah Thompson on the psychiatry of anti-gun feelings. The first defense mechanism she brings up is projection. I thought I had invented that idea. About fifteen years ago I was having an argument with someone who said that he didn't think that people should own guns because they might get in an argument and shoot someone. At first I laughed and told him that was ridiculous. No one normal person is going to lose his temper and shoot someone. Then I thought a moment more and told him that on second though if it sounded at all plausible to him that a normal person might lose his temper and shoot someone, then he should definitely not own a gun. After all, you expect of others what you think you would do.

No comments: