Friday, April 18, 2008

going semi-anonymous

When I first started this blog, I was in a position where no one in my business life was likely to google me and where my personal reputation was not likely to effect my company. Since the risk was small and since the risks were all mine, I decided to be open about my identity. But I say a lot of controversial things on this blog, make some off-color jokes and generally behave in an unprofessional manner, so there was always some risk in doing so.

Recently my duties at work have changed and as a result I'm far more likely to be the subject of a google search by a customer or partner, and my reputation is now more likely to effect my company. I don't want someone doing such a search to see this comment of mine: "what a couple of pricks" as the first or second result. That's what they would have seen this week. Also, there are people out there who would discriminate against my company because of my religious or political views. As I said, when it was just myself at risk, I didn't care so much, but I have a responsibility to my company not to let such things effect them.

So, I'm changing my by-line to "Doc Rampage" and going underground. I'm not taking any extraordinary steps to hide my identity, just trying to make so that casual google searches on my name do not find this blog.

No comments: