Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang in the 21st Century


I loved the car in the movie Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. There were two things about Chitty that appealed to me. First, I've always had an obsession for multi-purpose technology such as amphibious vehicles and flying cars (Chitty was both). Second, I liked the idea that it was built by a back-yard hobbyist from an old wreck. I've always wanted to do those kinds of projects but never had a back yard :-).

So naturally, I think the Maverick is super cool. This is a flying car put together by Christian missionaries to reach remote areas in South America. Here is a video of a test flight.

In the Popular Mechanics article they imply that it is amphibious as well because you can replace the tires with floats, but I get the impression that they haven't actually done any work on that aspect and it would be cheating anyway. The floats have to be built-in for the car to really be amphibious.


MaverickChitty

No comments: